Thursday, June 25, 2009

Father's Day Weekend=Zero Help from Husband Face

Husband Face with Itty Bitty watching K-Dog on a ride at the Fair (more to come on that crazy day)

Husband Face is a great dad and husband, but I really do not think fathers in general deserve a whole weekend to be recognized. Moms are at home all week with the kids and EARN one weekend a year to be adored. Personally I think working a normal job is easy compared to dragging three kids to the grocery store (this is what that looks like: a car seat in the cart, a child strapped to my chest, a leash on K-Dog tied to the cart, and me in tears). Really, is sitting in a office is that hard? I would kill to sit at all during the day. Now I think my Husband is a quasi genius and I admittedly cannot do what he does, so I recognize this is a case by case situation. Husband Face also spends an inordinate amount of time with the kids, he watches/feeds/puts to bed the kids 2-3 times a week so I can go make that dollar. Most dads would not say they are incapable of such tasks, that spiel does not work on me. You have two arms and a brain, figure it out man.

And while I have issues with Fathers Day, Husband Face did not hear about them. I was pretty much the best wife/mother he could have asked for. I took both Saturday and Sunday off so he did not have to deal with the madness of corralling them. On Saturday we hung around the house and then went to a Padres game in the evening. The pads suck, but the tickets were free through Husband Faces work and came with a food allowance so I was very happy and full of expensive ball park food. And thanks to the greatest mother in law, a night away from the kiddos was fun.
We searched the park for kettle corn. SO worth it!

I love baseball and kisses.

Then there was Sunday. This year we have implemented a new rule concerning holidays, especially Mother's Day and Father's Day. On the latter two days, the Mother (me) or the Father (Husband Face) can choose what she/he wants to do on their day. We have also decided that we will go to one families holiday party per holiday. This decision was made after K-Dog had a sugar meltdown at Easter and the twins were a wreck from being of their napping schedule, it was loud and involved lots of tears and will never happen again. I hate it when my kids breakdown or act like brats in front of family. Because as much as we all love each other I know the judging is coming down and cannot stand the scrutinizing looks of pity/failure. We want to accommodate all of our family sprawling from North San Diego county to very very East San Diego county, but it is not going to happen for awhile, at least until the twins are in grade school. That being said Husband Face decided to go golfing and get extremely inebriated while doing so. I took all three of the kids to my family's house to see my daddy. It was relatively stress free. I do not remember any major breakdowns. I always held a baby and then various members of the family would hold the other half. K-Dog ran around a pool (I know that this isn't safe, and he has since learned his lesson the hard way, but at the time I was not going to rock the boat with petty safety concerns). Husband Face came home after 9 o'clock and then made a bee line for our bedroom. K-Dog falls asleep in there and then when we go to sleep we transfer him into the kids room, this avoids the risk of having K-Dog wake the babies up with his constant requests for water/toys/hugs. Drunk Husband Face and K-Dog proceeded to talk about his golf game for an hour. This is the conversation I heard:

K-Dog: Did you hit the ball over the tree?
Husband Face: Yes, I hit it over lots of trees
K-Dog: Oh, that is awesome. Did you hit the leaves?
Husband Face: Yes, and most of the time I hit the tree.
K-Dog: (Laughing) Why did you do that?
Husband Face: Because I suck at golf.
K-Dog: What is suck?
Husband Face: Don't say suck.
K-Dog: Why? Because you said.
Husband Face: No, because your mom said.
K-Dog: OHHHHH. I am mad at mama.
Husband Face: Why?
K-Dog: I don't like her hair.
Husband Face: Why?
K-Dog: It is not awesome.

Overall it was a good day and my hair was weird. I spent the day with my dad and further developed my crush on Ricky Barnes, and Husband Face realized how horrible he is at golf and further developed a drinking habit. No complaints, except for Barnes losing the open.

I think that people may be concerned that we do not want to spend Mother's/Father's day with each other as a family THE WHOLE ENTIRE DAY. Newsflash: We do that every weekend. Not joking. We never see our friends or go shopping or be frivolous. We work and hang out with our kids. That is all. So for one weekend a year we decided to be selfish. And I am completely comfortable in that statement.

1 comment:

  1. yes and most of the time i hit the tree. bwhahaaa!

    -peter

    ReplyDelete