Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Gays in CA


Me and College Barbie at Gay Pride in San Diego. We took the twins and everyone thought we were a super hot lesbian couple, I wish.

Well it had to happen. This blog was bound to get political given my fiery spirit and the current state of the union. Let's keep it simple and only discuss the latest happening in California regarding Prop 8. Amongst other major political news, the CA supreme court ruled to uphold Prop 8, which passed in November 2008, amending the state constitution to say that marriage is between a man and woman. Passing Prop 8 left nearly 18,000 gay marriages in limbo, since the CA supreme court gave the ok to the gays to marry earlier that year. Today's ruling is like a slap in the face, but then they turn around and give you some candy, the justices decided not to force those married before Prop 8 to be divorced, swell. So not forcing 1,000s of people to divorce: good, continuing to uphold inequality: bad.

Let me state this before I continue: I love the gays. I vocally did not support Prop 8. My large prego ass was holding signs on election day for the cause. My car was covered in "NO ON 8" giant letters (Husband Face was convinced it was going to be keyed in our very religious/anti-gay community, thanks to all those who saw it but resisted vandalism). I have had heated battles with just about every family member about this issue, nearly destroying those relationships. It makes me furious and sad to see such disregard and hatred for a whole group of people. That being said, I am sort of glad the judges upheld the voters decisions. Best case scenario would have been for Prop 8 to have been rejected in November. But that didn't happen. I feared that if the judges overturned the voters decision today, the gay community would have been further ostracized by the conservative Christian base. Could you only imagine what Miss CA would have had to say about it? On that note, could the anti-gay folk out there get a better spokesperson, she is NOT helping your cause, just my opinion. I also think that judges are a lot smarter than the masses (especially Californians), and saw what was happening across the country and made a bold move last year. Today's decision is not really surprising, they seldom overturn the people's decision.

Coming from a super religious/conservative family and school of thought, I know all of the anti-gay marriage arguments. Most of them are religious, which what ever happened to separation of church and state? I have been asked would I want my children raised by two men or two women? Frankly, I think that most of the heterosexual parents (including myself) are not qualified to raise and care for a hamster, much less another human being. Anyone that can go through the stringent process of adoption and make it through with a baby, has my ok. I am also asked if I would want my son taught about the "gay lifestyle" in school. My child being taught that in America you marry who you love, is a good thing, not some horror I need to shelter him from. I want my kids to grow up accepting others for who they are, not their sexual preference. I want them to be independent thinkers, who know right from wrong, but can discern the gray areas without judgement. I feel like what I want for my kids is what Christian parents want for their children too, they just have this "sinners" category that you should pray for, but never ever support.

Gay marriage is going to be legalized. It is not a religious issue or a party issue, it is a human rights issue. The gay community is asking to be equal with the heterosexuals and apparently California (of all the states, really) is not ready for that reality. It will happen though. Women eventually voted. Interracial couples eventually wed. The blackies integrated into the whiteies schools. Time is the biggest factor in this issue. Maybe not the next election or the election after, but gay marriage will be legalized. My kids will be taught that EVERY person is equal either by me or their teachers, most likely their teachers though, I am really busy.

I am sad for the coming battles that the gay community will have to fight, but I will not waiver. I will stand at rallies and make phone calls, annoy whoever will listen until they change their mind. It is easy to get heated over this issue and I don't understand why people are scared that the gays marrying somehow cheapens their marriage. Shouldn't they be more concerned with the rampant infidelity and rising divorce rate? That makes marriage look bad, not more people WANTING to be married. And don't get me started on the civil union joke. If it is the same thing as marriage then why isn't it called marriage? I would not settle for a civil union. It is like saying DiGiornos is delivery, sorry that pizza blows and I would pay the cost to get the good stuff. So gay community that is what you are doing now: Paying the cost so you can get the real good stuff. Do not waiver. You are fighting for those who follow. Trust me, it is worth the price, most days.


Miss California, drag style.

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree! I believe our God is a loving and not only created all but accepts all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. I'm so glad you posted the link to your blog on Facebook. My favorite part: "My kids will be taught that EVERY person is equal..."
    Love and hugs, Rach!

    ReplyDelete